Author Topic: Forum Tips , Tricks and General info  (Read 1402 times)

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
Forum Tips , Tricks and General info
« on: Sep 29, 2014, 21:22:27 »
Hi,

Not everybody knows all the things they can do on the Forum and what all the settings and stuff mean so I thought i would start a Thread and add bits as i come across them :)

To start with, the new "Mention" feature recently Added.

This is like the Facebook Tag function, you type the character @ in a post and then type at least the first two letters of another username directly after it.

From this a popup list of usernames that start with that letter appears and you can click the one you want or keep typing to narrow the list.

Ok, so what does it do?

Well it will appear on the tagged persons Profile menu at the top of the forum as a "mention" , if they go to the Proflie mention and select Mentions they can then click on the message they were mentioned/tagged in to read it.

They will know if they have a mention as there will be a (1) next to their profile menu or a (2) if they have two mentions etc..

You can also in the Mention menu tick a box that will cause the forum to email you the mention when you receive one, so you will know to visit the forum to find out why your name has been brought up :)

Message order change

Amongst some of quirks of the forum as it is, one is the order in which Posts appear in a thread.  The default is to have the newest one at the end and oldest one first.

So if you have 3 pages of thread, page 1 will have the first posts, page 3 the last..

A lot of people, including me, prefer to have the newest post at the top on page 1 , seems far more intuitive.  The default is great for a Book, but not so great for a forum.

To change this setting, go to your "Profile" via the menu up top.  go down the menu list on the left to the "Modify Profile" and then click on "look and layout".

go down the list that appears util you find a tick box next to "Show most recent posts at the top." , tick this box.

scroll down and click the "Change profile button"

Now all posts will appear with the newest first in threads. :)

Image uploading

There are two ways to upload images into a post , the direct method for uploading from your computer/device is to click on "Attachments and other options" which is just below the main box when you create a new post.

Scroll down after clicking on that and you will see "Attach:"  and a button to "Choose file" , click on this and browse to a single picture and select it. the filename will appear in the white box.

If you want to add more pictures then click the "(more attachments)" link underneath to produce another Choose file box.  do the same as above for the second picture etc.. Repeat until you have all the pictures and text ready, then click "Save" bottom right to post the message.

NOTE: the forum software does not like lots of large pictures via the above method , ideally upload shrunk versions , typically 800 x 600 max resolution.

The images will appear at the end of your post.

The other method and usually somewhat less clunky is to use is to host your pictures on photobox, google photos or other online photo sites. then all you need to to copy the link to the picture (with Ctrl - C or whatever the copy to clipboard function is on your device).

Now click the "Insert image" button above the post , it is a light brown button below the I Button.  then without moving the cursor paste the link to your image, it should automatically appear with the tags the button provides.

repeat this for each image you want to put inline with your post.  The image will appear where you put it.

Bill
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2014, 21:52:30 by Bill »

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
Re: Forum Tips , Tricks and General info
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2014, 13:06:07 »
Shoutbox / chat has a whisper function.

if you click on the small blue icon to the left of somebodies name on the chat this creates  something like @name:  , this allows you to send a chat message to them without it going public on the shoutbox.  Useful for off topic comment or prods that would look messy or out of place in the main discussion.

you can also manually type @name:  where the name is the username before your text to do the same.

bill

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2014, 14:00:45 »
hi,

For some time now the Member map has stopped working..

After much code reading and tweaking the issue has been resolved hopefully.

for the technical , this had to be added to one of the files > header('Content-Type: application/javascript');  else your browser would not accept what followed was Java script.

this appears to have been a broken by a google map system update and as this plug in stopped being developed 3 years ago, it needed to be resolved the hard way.

Bill

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:55:57 »
hi all,

A slight tweak to the forum, when posting an attachment and it was a portrait format picture then the forum limited the height , resizing the image excessively small as a result. you had to click on it to see it full size.

I have increased the vertical height limit to improve this.

Bill
« Last Edit: Feb 06, 2015, 12:56:36 by Bill »

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
« Reply #4 on: Jun 28, 2015, 18:17:24 »
hi all,

A new plug in to handle video files has been added. this should allow you to paste links to video files as well as successfully upload some previously non working types.

youtube , just pasted , no buttons or bbcode

Bill
« Last Edit: Jun 28, 2015, 19:31:03 by Bill »

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41
  • Tomo195: Hi all.
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:31:33
  • Tomo195: does anybody know how I can post pics without using photobucket
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:39:11
  • Bill: just use the insert image button if the files are local to you
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:03:40
  • Bill: oops i meant the attachments and other options red bit at the bottom of a new post.
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:04:36
  • Barry Arthur: Needing help we v5 for my chevette
    Nov 14, 2017, 20:47:50
  • parko: what fo you need barry
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:28
  • parko: do
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:35
  • Barry Arthur: I don't have a up to date v5.according to DVLA I need a pic of vin plate and vin number stamped in to shell of vehicle.i can't find stamped on number.does anyone know where it is
    Nov 15, 2017, 22:26:54
  • parko: i cpuld be wrong but is it under the carpet between the drivers seat and sill
    Nov 16, 2017, 19:29:21
  • hsrwannabe: On the dashboard where the tax disc  used to go if its a pre 79 car
    Nov 17, 2017, 00:03:59