Author Topic: Spot Light Relay  (Read 2941 times)

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
Spot Light Relay
« on: Jun 19, 2009, 20:27:11 »
Can anyone help with the connections to a standard 5 spade spot light relay

I can remember the following

1 to earth
1 to live (fuesed)
1 to Main beam via a scotch lock or similar
1 To spot lights then splits into 2
and then i think 1 may then go to a switch

Now  which goes to which   im a little in the dark about it  :) (yes a pun was intended)

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Mad Max A.K.A. Mal

• Committee Member
  • Just Call Me Blydenstein
Re: Spot Light Relay
« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2009, 21:01:07 »
Generally 4 pins used on relay and they are as follows -:

Terminal Number 30 - Fused positive from battery
Terminal Number 85 - To Earth
Terminal Number 86 - To Switch - and a main beam positive feed to the other side of the switch (or main beam positive if not switched and working with main beam)
Terminal Number 87 - To spotlights

Good Luck and hopefully you'll be able to see again  8)
It's better to burn out than to fade away . . .

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2009, 22:12:03 »
Thanks MallyD   When you get to my age being able to see down those lanes at night helps you peddle the vette that little bit faster    if i were to add the oscar Fogs  i presume i could take the feed from the dipped beam and run a relay in much the same way   making sure the 2 set of sots and fogs would never be on together
Ian

• Committee Member
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2009, 22:17:41 »
Thanks MallyD   When you get to my age being able to see down those lanes at night helps you peddle the vette that little bit faster    if i were to add the oscar Fogs  i presume i could take the feed from the dipped beam and run a relay in much the same way   making sure the 2 set of sots and fogs would never be on together
Ian

Absolutely bang on, but obviously the fogs will need a switch . . . which would have to illuminate when on to meet MOT requirements, also make sure the fogs are not too low as their is a minimum height in the MOT manual (I can't remember what it is but I know its's there). You can't beat a set of Oscars on a Chevette - you'll have to get some pics up  ;)

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 20, 2009, 22:23:16 »
Yes I will get some piccys up   I have 2 oscar drives, 2 oscar fogs which i bought from Wood & Picket  coach builders when they were in St Albans in the 80's (I believe they were once a big name in customizing in London,  when we were doing some building works at St Albans they were doing quite a lot of bullet proofing of Range Rovers & Rollers for the middle east market   The 4 oscars were brand new and only spent a small amount of time on my nova and have been in my garage for the last 15 years, I only have 3 covers though,  I also have 2 super Oscars on my Chevette at the moment  and as you say you cant not beat them for looks   also a set of Lucas 20 / 20  drives    sounds like i need to do a bit of a fashion show    Light's Camera  ...    :) 

Offline Jordan

• Forum Superstar
  • If In Doubt Flat Out! Sideways Or No Ways!
« Reply #5 on: Jun 20, 2009, 22:29:48 »
when i pass my test we will have to have a jolly out Iano, being only 5mins away from each other.

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20, 2009, 22:47:35 »
Jordan  What sort of price is your insurance coming out at as my 17 year old daughter may have to learn to drive in my chevette or my Nissan Primera   know what i would choose Ian :-\

• Committee Member
« Reply #7 on: Jun 20, 2009, 23:02:47 »
Yes I will get some piccys up   I have 2 oscar drives, 2 oscar fogs which i bought from Wood & Picket  coach builders when they were in St Albans in the 80's (I believe they were once a big name in customizing in London,  when we were doing some building works at St Albans they were doing quite a lot of bullet proofing of Range Rovers & Rollers for the middle east market   The 4 oscars were brand new and only spent a small amount of time on my nova and have been in my garage for the last 15 years, I only have 3 covers though,  I also have 2 super Oscars on my Chevette at the moment  and as you say you cant not beat them for looks   also a set of Lucas 20 / 20  drives    sounds like i need to do a bit of a fashion show    Light's Camera  ...    :)

Wood and Picket were big on Mini Conversions as well, Oscar covers are often listed (new - pair of) on ebay and arn't too expensive

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2009, 23:18:34 »
Yeah they had a couple of de-seamed minis in at the time also  1 for Tommy Steel (ask your dad)   they looked quite "pimp" as my son says about cars that are a bit decent 

Offline Jordan

• Forum Superstar
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2009, 23:31:01 »
Jordan  What sort of price is your insurance coming out at as my 17 year old daughter may have to learn to drive in my chevette or my Nissan Primera   know what i would choose Ian :-\

I also know what I would choose...too late chosen  ;D ;D

It comes out at just over 1000 but that is fully comp...my mum as the maind driver with 5yrs NCD (this reduces the premium) and being garage kept...hope this helps  :)

She would be silly not to learn in a proper car tell her lol and of course by this I mean the chevette :)

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Totally Fearless Forum Fighter
  • Vice Chairman
« Reply #10 on: Jun 21, 2009, 10:50:25 »
Just wondering jordan, are you earning any no claims bonus for yourself being listed as a named driver? otherwise you may find when you come to get your own policy the price will still be high beacuse you have no no caims.

I started on my dads policy for a year, with direct line. with them named drivers earn some discount but you can only use it wih them so when i insured my chevette in march the price was about 700 TPF&T

Offline Jordan

• Forum Superstar
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2009, 00:26:23 »
I am earning no claims Ashley  ;D I did double check this, to try and avoid the problem

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41
  • Tomo195: Hi all.
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:31:33
  • Tomo195: does anybody know how I can post pics without using photobucket
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:39:11
  • Bill: just use the insert image button if the files are local to you
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:03:40
  • Bill: oops i meant the attachments and other options red bit at the bottom of a new post.
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:04:36
  • Barry Arthur: Needing help we v5 for my chevette
    Nov 14, 2017, 20:47:50
  • parko: what fo you need barry
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:28
  • parko: do
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:35
  • Barry Arthur: I don't have a up to date v5.according to DVLA I need a pic of vin plate and vin number stamped in to shell of vehicle.i can't find stamped on number.does anyone know where it is
    Nov 15, 2017, 22:26:54
  • parko: i cpuld be wrong but is it under the carpet between the drivers seat and sill
    Nov 16, 2017, 19:29:21
  • hsrwannabe: On the dashboard where the tax disc  used to go if its a pre 79 car
    Nov 17, 2017, 00:03:59
  • Barry Arthur: I've got the driver's seat out and carpet up but no sign.rather frustrating
    Nov 21, 2017, 20:00:46
  • Bill: it ids engraved into the floor near the seat , unless it isn't the original floor ?
    Nov 23, 2017, 09:27:53
  • Barry Arthur: That's not so good.thanks for help
    Dec 22, 2017, 22:15:08
  • vauxhallkeith: Merry christmas everyone. All the best
    Dec 24, 2017, 23:31:36
  • Not sure: Hi I'm looking front seats for an HS chevette, any condation. Thanks
    Feb 16, 2018, 23:18:17
  • Odmark: Will i (5ft 1 tall) fit sort of comfortably in a 79 Chevette hatchback?
    Mar 15, 2018, 08:29:14
  • Odmark: correction, im 5 ft 17
    Mar 15, 2018, 13:59:49
  • Odmark: Correction again, apparently i am 6ft 5 haha
    Mar 16, 2018, 13:50:38
  • vauxhallkeith: Am 6ft 2 and fit fine in the front
    Mar 16, 2018, 19:34:47