Author Topic: upgrading car cooling system to electric fan  (Read 8293 times)

Offline d12ewp2011

• Intermediate Forum User
upgrading car cooling system to electric fan
« on: Feb 22, 2011, 23:48:53 »
Has anyone done this upgrade?

im thinking of puting in an electric fan thats thermostat controlled

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Mad Max A.K.A. Mal

• Committee Member
  • Just Call Me Blydenstein
Re: upgrading car cooling system to electric fan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 08:38:44 »
Relatively easy to do, there are a number of standalone fans that will work, or you can go down the route of the local breaker and find one that will fit (I used an Omega one on the last one I did initially with a switch on the dash and then with a T Piece on the return hose and a temp sender) or you can go the whole hogg and find a modern radiator complete with fan and thermostatically controlled switch that will go pretty much straight in, i.e. Hyundai getz or a whole host of others, the biggest Rad and Fan pack I could find that would fit under the Chevette bonnet with a standalone expansion tank bolted too it was from a 95 328 BMW, but this does require some modding to the hoses, you do however get the benefit of a modern triple core radiator, with a bigger area so cools better and it already has fans etc fitted to it. The one I bought was a month old and cost me 25 . . .  it cost the previous owner of the car 200  ;D and then some doughnut rear ended it and wrote the car off.

Cheers
Mal
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2011, 09:12:22 by Mad Max! The Road Warrior »
It's better to burn out than to fade away . . .

Offline Laird Scooby

• Forum Power User
  • Losing the plot, minute by minute . . . . . .
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:00:53 »
Err - what Mal said! Was halfway through replying when his reply popped up!! If you want to go down the "new" route, one of these may be suitable :

https://www.europaspares.com/FANS/FANS/REVOTEC_ELECTRIC_COOLING_FANS_5391.html

Fitting an electric fan will give you faster warm up, better economy and more power from the engine. It's generally believed that a constantly driven fan, even a viscous type, can sap up to 10% of the engines power. With your K&N and re-routed breather, you could in theory at least, be nudging 70bhp! Should make your wee beastie a bit livelier!

Don't forget to use a relay to switch the fan motor as the rad fan switch won't be capable of switching it in most cases. If you need any advice on adding a relay, i'm quite happy to help.

Cheers,
Dave

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2011, 13:19:29 »
Just done this and yes does make a little difference, Im still at the manual switch stage so you have to keep an eye on the gauge

Hey mal what did you use as a temp sender

Offline Mad Max A.K.A. Mal

• Committee Member
  • Just Call Me Blydenstein
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2011, 13:35:26 »
Bought a kit at an autojumble which was essentially a T Piece which your hose fitted onto at each end with a temp sensor that screwed in the middle, the beemer rad already had a sensor fitted into the rad and wired to the fan  ;)
It's better to burn out than to fade away . . .

Offline KGW

• Forum Expert
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2011, 14:19:03 »
This is one of the jobs I'm wanting to do this summer.  8)
One of many!

Offline d12ewp2011

« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2011, 16:16:14 »
great stuff guys thanks!

Yeah im ok with wiring relays etc im an electronic engineer haha

On another note;what oil filter can you use as a replacement? Im just curious can you used the champion F range is it"?

Offline iano

• Forum Power User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2011, 16:37:09 »
This is one of the jobs I'm wanting to do this summer.  8)
One of many!
pretty easy to do just get rid of that lumpy old viscoss fan as it caught my lead off my timing lamp and ripped the sensor off (Snapon Lamp  350 worth)

Offline Laird Scooby

• Forum Power User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2011, 17:47:35 »

Yeah im ok with wiring relays etc im an electronic engineer haha

On another note;what oil filter can you use as a replacement? Im just curious can you used the champion F range is it"?

That's 2 of us then!! But i did my apprenticeship with multi-skills in mind (so mechanical as well) and have gained subsequent auto-electrical quals too. Always comes in handy!!

I'm also curious about the oil filter as it appears to be one of those horrible cartridge things - does anyone know of a spin-on conversion kit to use a common (aka cheap!) off the shelf filter?

Offline d12ewp2011

« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2011, 21:05:12 »
Yeah the type with an oversized bolt straight through the centre?

I just wondered if the champion F108 would fit?

Mite buy and try' hahah what a moto eh!

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:42:44 »
I've done it using a Vectra aircon fan in front of the rad  - its two speed so you can switch it to suit. It comes on a plastic subframe which is easy to mod and strap to the rad.  Used a maplins temp control kit to switch it . The sensor is strapped to the lower hose. I also fitted a manual switch but have never used it!.  Worth doing. Cost me about 25 in total. - Scotty

Offline Laird Scooby

• Forum Power User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2011, 19:39:26 »
The right oil filters are cheap enough :

http://www.discountcarparts.co.uk/catalogue.php?sec=43&make_combo=32&model_combo=403&esize_combo=843&year_combo=24527

Wouldn't complain about 1.88!!

Cheers,
Dave

Offline d12ewp2011

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2011, 20:38:40 »
Get in!!
Thats Great :driving:

Offline Stevo

• Forum Expert
  • Greater Luxury
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2011, 15:38:19 »
I've done it using a Vectra aircon fan in front of the rad  - its two speed so you can switch it to suit. It comes on a plastic subframe which is easy to mod and strap to the rad.  Used a maplins temp control kit to switch it . The sensor is strapped to the lower hose. I also fitted a manual switch but have never used it!.  Worth doing. Cost me about 25 in total. - Scotty
Like this idea, how long have you had it on and working out of interest - through a summer?

Do you have a picture of the install?

Is this the control kit?
http://www.maplin.co.uk/temperature-activated-switch-kit-220003

Where does the sensor go exactly, on the in side or outside of the hose?

Many thanks

Stevo

Offline d12ewp2011

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2011, 18:42:52 »
im just buying the inline hose splitter (from 28mm to 40mm) with the 1/8 npt fitting and putting either a variable heat switch OR a fixed temp. type then putting that into a relay switching circuit with the fan connected.

Its easy to then upgrade the radiator later as i am mounting the fan with those high temperature fasteners that either feed through the rad or you can also buy brackets.

Just want to take some of the load off of the engine to see how much effect it does have.

I dont plan to get stuck in any traffic ofcourse so the fan in theory 'shouldnt' engage! haha

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41
  • Tomo195: Hi all.
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:31:33
  • Tomo195: does anybody know how I can post pics without using photobucket
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:39:11
  • Bill: just use the insert image button if the files are local to you
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:03:40
  • Bill: oops i meant the attachments and other options red bit at the bottom of a new post.
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:04:36
  • Barry Arthur: Needing help we v5 for my chevette
    Nov 14, 2017, 20:47:50
  • parko: what fo you need barry
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:28
  • parko: do
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:35
  • Barry Arthur: I don't have a up to date v5.according to DVLA I need a pic of vin plate and vin number stamped in to shell of vehicle.i can't find stamped on number.does anyone know where it is
    Nov 15, 2017, 22:26:54
  • parko: i cpuld be wrong but is it under the carpet between the drivers seat and sill
    Nov 16, 2017, 19:29:21
  • hsrwannabe: On the dashboard where the tax disc  used to go if its a pre 79 car
    Yesterday at 00:03:59