Author Topic: COG AGM - The Club for your Chevette, Chevanne, Kadett C and Corsa...  (Read 16060 times)

Offline John Delahaye

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
One of the more controversial topics of our AGM held at billing was the idea of including the Vauxhall Corsa (Type B onwards) in the club.

At first glance it seems like a strange idea. The Corsa isn't a classic, and isn't even retro in most peoples eyes. It isn't the successor to the Chevette (The Astra is) and if we are honest the stereotypical Corsa driver isn't going to appreciate the other cars in the club.

But.

* The VBOA presently has no dedicated Corsa club under its banner. We would be the first choice for Corsa owners who want to attend this show.
* Increased membership = increased revenue (future security)
* If we are to take a long term view of the club, say 10 years in the future we could be looking at fewer and fewer Chevettes attending Billing and so a mix of the two cars would guarantee keeping our nice big stand and make it worth attending still.
* To attend the NEC classic car show they look at the size of your club when deciding if you are allowed in.
* If we ignore the chumps that got kicked out of Billing this year, not all Corsa drivers are beer swilling, pot smoking chavs  ::)

This would be a 12 month trial. The club name wouldn't change.

Any comments???  :o  ;D
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2009, 15:18:19 by John Delahaye »

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Totally Fearless Forum Fighter
  • Vice Chairman
I thought the Spanish built successor nova was the replacement for the chevette, and in turn the corsa replaced the nova so going along the family tree perhaps we could accommodate the corsa.  Saying that though is there a nova club....at least the nova is heading more towards classic status than the corsa.

I can see where the club is coming from with the idea of having a combined club and the benefits it would bring and i wouldn't be against it, however i wouldn't say i was for it either more neutral.

My only concern would be having a***hole chavs joining and possibly giving us a name and image for the wrong reasons and possibly causing longer standing members to withdraw from the club and the club turning into a corsa club, and the members who withdraw then set up their own chevette owners club.

These are my comments, and would happily respond to any criticisms of them ;)

V8chevette

Sorry no i don't think the club should include the Corsa.

This should put you off :P

Offline Jordan

• Forum Superstar
  • If In Doubt Flat Out! Sideways Or No Ways!
I have to agree with V8 chevette...I appreciate where people are coming from with the club expansion...but I think it will change the dynamics too much. We will go from attending CLASSIC car shows to attending boy racer meets at mcdonalds with the corsa's lol...same as Ashley Im open to persuasion however  :)

Offline princesshannah

• Advanced Forum User
  • Chevette Novice; Chocolate Expert

Not so bad... :)

Disclaimer: I had nothing to do with the proposition. Don't blame me...!

V8chevette

Who let her in SECURITY!!!!

Only kidding ;D :-*

Offline John Delahaye

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
LOL!

SECURITY!!!!

That would be me then  ;D

If we were to do this it would be a very low key affair initially, overseeing the members with Corsas that join to make sure they appreciate the mix of old and new.

Anyone else?

I've moved this over to the general discussion section to try and get some more feedback

« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 18:31:23 by John Delahaye »

Offline John Delahaye

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
I thought the Spanish built successor nova was the replacement for the chevette,

Vauxhall Chevette = Opel Kadett
Vauxhall Astra mk1 and 2 = Opel Kadett

The Nova was a new car introduced to take on the mighty Metro and Fiesta

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
Welcome to the forum Hannah ;D

Now you have caused a problem....as i dont have a problem with your car as it hasnt crashed through halfords wndow and collected all the tacky s**t on the way like most corsas :D so wouldnt really have an a issue with it and you joining the club......plus your the admistrators girlfriend so i have to say that just to ensure i dont get kicked off the forum ;D ;D ;D

BTW theres a hell of a run in your front splitter, i wonder who painted that ;)        ;D ;D ;D ;D

V8chevette

If the club was expanded to include the Corsa i fear that the club could become awash with Corsas and eventually lose it's identity as the Chevette owners group as there are a hell of a lot more Corsas on the road than Chevettes.

And to be honest at a show i wouldn't want to put my car on a stand next to a dozen Corsas (sorry Hannah).

Offline Edd

• Advanced Forum User
I can't see a problem with including corsas - I can't see many chav's wanting to join what is basically a classic car club...and john has a point about the dwindling number of chevettes. But if you're going to include corsas surely it would make sense to include nova's too? I know they're not officially the replacement, but they do sit pretty well between chevettes and corsa's, would be a bit odd to have one and not the other...

V8chevette

to be honest at a show i wouldn't want to put my car on a stand next to a dozen Corsas (sorry Hannah).

Or Nova's
« Last Edit: Jul 15, 2009, 20:31:47 by V8chevette »

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Vice Chairman
to be honest at a show i wouldn't want to put my car on a stand next to a dozen Corsas (sorry Hannah).

Or Nova's

Someone is certainly against the idea  ;D ;D

oooo new smiley O0

Offline Doc

• COG Member
  • Forum God
  • Gettin younger by the day!
I have to agree with you V8 im not totally fussed about corsas we are essentially a classic car club, im not into wings and obscene paint jobs,,, but the club could use the funds and  we will be policeing any  corsas for good bahavior  any nob heads / troulble makers wont be tolerated. i see nice clean examples of corsas or modded ones with very well behaved folk.. its on a 1 yr test lest suckit and see,, O0

Offline Edd

• Advanced Forum User
Don't get me wrong - I'm no fan of chavs! but i don't think we should write-off all Corsa/Nova drivers just because of a few idiots, and I really don't think the idiots would be interested in us anyway, we're not even listed in max power  :D  perhaps the 'well behaved' corsa people would like to join a club that isn't just about body kits and subwoofers?

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • John PH: I seem to have stopped being a member. Could have sworn I paid earlier this year.
    Jul 19, 2017, 12:27:51
  • opel monza blue: if you do renew your membership it is only 5 now
    Jul 21, 2017, 15:21:11
  • opel monza blue: unfortunately the paypal link still says 10 ??
    Jul 24, 2017, 09:24:18
  • nova j877: Has anybody got a rear number plate holder and clip?
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:31:26
  • John PH: Glad I didn't go to VBOA now. I would've gone thinking that I was a fully paid up member.
    Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:15
  • opel monza blue: Hi i can log in but can not open membership page is there a problem or is it me ??
    Aug 01, 2017, 09:25:09
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check
    Aug 01, 2017, 20:32:30
  • Bill: membership page seems ok here. just had a new joiner to add and a russky spammer who managed to get past the security questions :)
    Aug 02, 2017, 23:46:31
  • opel monza blue: Hello Bill i have posted in cog/forum
    Aug 03, 2017, 08:13:30
  • rlf444w: i to can get in members area
    Aug 08, 2017, 21:46:18
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41