Author Topic: So I think my indicator stalk is giving up the ghost, any thoughts?  (Read 363 times)

Offline russboy

• COG Member
  • Forum Newbie
  • God bless the local motor factors :)
So I started my car up today, getting ready for another pre mot check and I think the indicator stalk is giving up the ghost. 1 out of 20 times it works, if I'm lucky, is there a rework or rebuild kit I can get?
Cheers

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
Its usually dirty copper contacts causing the problem. Clean all the external contacts first.  Can be the flasher unit, the Hazard warning switch. or the stalk lead contacts or internal within the stalk. I have had a lot of trouble with the Hazard warning switch which is a purely mechanical thing with lots of copper contacts which corrode!  If it turns out the fault is internal to the indicator switch  it may be fixable by taking the switch off  taking it apart carefully and cleaning the internal ones . The problem is that 40 year old plastic is pretty brittle and it is easy to break the casings. You may be able to clean them up with an aerosol cleaner without disassembly.  Failing that you need a new switch. There are a couple on EBAY at the moment although one is a silly price.  Viva stalks are the same I think. Good luck - Scotty

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Totally Fearless Forum Fighter
  • Vice Chairman
Worth also checking/replacing the flasher relay.  Again it could be dirty contacts in that.

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
hi

what ash and scotty said . the hazard switch is a common problem as at MOT they test it wheraas you may never use it at all.

this switch gets a bit dirty and will cause the indicators to stop working or work intermittently.

first thing i suggest is exercise the hazard switch on/off a load of times, this will help wipe the contacts clean.

If this hasnt helped then is it both left/right indication that is playing up or just one side?

if both then the indicator relay sounds suspicious, also check the fuses, roll them in their holders to clean the contacts too.

unless they mechanically fail the switches are easy to work on and restore. pop the steering wheel off (the big nut that holds it is under the plastic badge holder in the middle of the steering wheel).  pop the plastic badge square out with a screwdriver under one corner.

undo the screws that hod the black cowl on and remove that.

then you can undo the clamp that holds the switch assembly, unplug the plugs and take it off and go to town on the contacts.  a girly nail file/sanding stick would probably be a good start and you might need snall pointy pliers if the contacts need tweaking too.

good luck :)

bill

Offline russboy

• COG Member
  • Forum Newbie
So I swapped the hazard and indicator relays over, tested both hazard and indicators then Swapped back, still only the hazard one worked. I think I may buy the NOS one from eBay but it's 90 quid, just if I can't get the old one working. Then sell it on. Is this allot?

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
Have you cleaned the actual hazard switch contacts?  You should determine where the fault is before spending that sort of money!  If you have a multimeter or continuity tester you can unplug the switch and check the switch out. Haynes has a wiring diagram from which you can work out which colour wire does what. 

Offline russboy

• COG Member
  • Forum Newbie
Ok, that sounds like a plan. btw I bought the indicator stalk from eBay at great expense but the seller broke it boxing it up ready to post which so sent me a refund which was very good of them. Someone's trying to tell me not to buy one lol.

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
yep as scotty says and i have said too. do the remedial stuff first before taking things out.

swapping the hazard relay for the flasher relay is unlikely to work. mainly as the hazard one is designed to drive ALL the lights, not just 2 on one side and vice versa.

There are plenty of lucas style flasher units out there on ebay , it doesn't need to be chevette specific as long as it is designed for 12V and 21W+21W load and is 2 terminal.

you haven't said if you did the hazard light switch exercise thing, the beauty of these old school electrics is their simplicity and ease of diagnosis and repair.

Offline parko

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
i too had same problem with indicators/hazzard and my wipers would only work on intermittant and stuttered on slow speed so i unscrewed the column surround and disconected the multiplug and gave a good squirt with contact spray left for 10 mins connected plugs back up and all works fine now

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41
  • Tomo195: Hi all.
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:31:33
  • Tomo195: does anybody know how I can post pics without using photobucket
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:39:11
  • Bill: just use the insert image button if the files are local to you
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:03:40
  • Bill: oops i meant the attachments and other options red bit at the bottom of a new post.
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:04:36
  • Barry Arthur: Needing help we v5 for my chevette
    Nov 14, 2017, 20:47:50
  • parko: what fo you need barry
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:28
  • parko: do
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:35
  • Barry Arthur: I don't have a up to date v5.according to DVLA I need a pic of vin plate and vin number stamped in to shell of vehicle.i can't find stamped on number.does anyone know where it is
    Nov 15, 2017, 22:26:54
  • parko: i cpuld be wrong but is it under the carpet between the drivers seat and sill
    Nov 16, 2017, 19:29:21
  • hsrwannabe: On the dashboard where the tax disc  used to go if its a pre 79 car
    Nov 17, 2017, 00:03:59