Author Topic: Jolting when releasing accelarator  (Read 782 times)

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
Re: Jolting when releasing accelarator
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2017, 11:44:04 »
I agree with @Bill, Engine sounds ok. the tappets a bit loose but running evenly enough.   Water out of the exhaust is normal on a cold engine its just condensation just check the radiator isn't losing water If it is a quick fix is Kseal.

You need to go underneath and check the Ujs mounts etc for looseness/  missing bolts etc. I had a propshaft fall off once on a Viva when I ignored the vibration and clatter for too long!  - Scotty

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #16 on: Apr 23, 2017, 22:27:48 »
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the reply and sorry about it taking me so long to respond.

Last weekend when I had her up on the ramps I noticed a fair oil drip suspended between the engine and the bellhousing (where they join).

This has led me to believe there is oil on the clutch. I don't think Its the mounts as yesterday there came an almighty judder at low revs but no cluncks or knocks to be heard.

Today I replaced the condenser that earths to the engine block (haven't touched the one in the cap as it looks new).

The engine seemed happier with that then I tested a tip that an older friend told me about spraying wd40 on outside of the leads. The engine went really smooth when I done this.

Unfortunately this did not stop her from stalling after approx 10-15 mins idling. This brings me back to believing the HG is away although it may be a very small hole.

So in summary she needs a new head gasket, rear main seal and clutch. Anyone want a chevette??!!!

I have the parts but none of the know how.

I in Nairn. Is that near you?

:wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang: :wallbang:

Offline Jeff J

• Advanced Forum User
« Reply #17 on: Apr 24, 2017, 13:23:09 »
I doubt you will have oil in the clutch assy. from a leaking crankshaft seal, it would have to be pouring out for the flywheel to throw it around in the bell housing. If you do decide to replace the clutch then check the flywheel for scoring & get it skimmed if there is any. That is what was causing clutch judder on mine even after replacing the clutch & thrust bearing.
I have just found out to my cost that changing the crankshaft oil seals is a real pain in the butt & I ended up completely rebuilding the engine while it was out.

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #18 on: Apr 24, 2017, 19:01:32 »
Agree - crankshaft rear oil seal failure is messy but doesn't usually affect the clutch in any way.  Do the usual clutch test  -put it in third - foot hard on the foot brake- rev the engine up a bit and slowly release the clutch. The engine should stall. If not clutch is knackered. From the info posted it would seem to me that there may be a intermittent fault in the LT or HT ignition wiring or perhaps the Thermo Fan is being noisy - they are known to be unreliable. - Scotty

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2017, 22:24:04 »
hi,

I would strongly recommend the accuspark contactless points , that will eliminate the condensor and mechanical points.

There are so many things that mess up with traditional points, the condensor dries up, the distributor shaft bearing gains slack resulting in variable points gap. crap gets on the points etc..

I have driven around 48000 miles in a chevette/chevanne since 2013 , both have the accuspark, it is fit and forget.

If it is the brown distributor cap with the condensor on the outside (bosch) then the kit is the k24 kit from them.  can't remember what the delco (black cap internal condensor) one is.

If you have not changed the plug leads then change em , they do fail internally.  I recently made up a set of copper core ones after getting a roll of stranded HT cable off ebay :) . don't get the solid core cable as it cracks eventually from vibration.

Oil leaks are standard :D mine leaks reasonably , not excessive. this is partly due to fact i use synthetic il with original seals.  mineral oil attacks seals and makes them swell, so ideally with synthetic oil i should of replaced all the seals.

The rear seal as already mentioned is a real pig to do, not to mention the sump gasket in that area once you have it done!

So i would avoid that.

With the judder you mention, is it only during initial movement in first gear ? if you bring the clutch up slower, can you avoid it ?

My chevette which i did around 18k in has the original clutch/mounts etc.. and had this take up shake.  if you didn't control how you brought the clutch up it would shake the engine/gearbox severely :o

Yet again only first gear and on initial take up, all other gears fine.  This i think is more to do with tired/knackered rubber mounts such as the gearbox mount and torque tube doughnut.

if yours is doing it in all gears then you may indeed have a shagged clutch, possibly a snapped spring or damaged friction material or damaged splines/release bearing.

the mechanical fan as Scotty states does get noisy , especially at a certain rev where the worn bearing vibrates. the noise travels to the engine so it sounds like a nasty problem that isn't really there.

The good thing is, these beasts are fairly easy to dismantle and investigate, but if you do take the gearbox off then you might as well change the complete clutch and bearing anyway.  With average driving they will last pretty much forever :D

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 23:47:08 »
Well wouldnt you know it. Ive impressed myself.

Turns out the jolting was due to a duff ignition coil.

The original had a resistance of 2ohms but the fancy lucas sport had a rating of 4. Got the multimeter out. Realised it only done it when warm due to the copper coils resistance doubling when warm. Put the old one on and she is purring away lovely. Sounds better than my skoda or even the wifes wee micra. The cars unstopable now!  :blues:

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 23:52:57 »
My mate driving it - the boys was desperate.

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:46 »
Glad you found the problem.  Car looks really good too! 

The coil system on Chevettes is a bit odd in that the coil is actually a 6 volt coil with a dropper resistor in the cabling to allow it to run from 12volts.  However when starting the resistor is bypassed to give the coil the full system voltage (12 volt less the drop the starter causes) so that starting is allegedly easier. You can use 12volt coils by wiring them direct bypassing the wiring harness.

Offline Rich Britton

• COG Member
  • Forum Expert
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2017, 17:20:52 »
 :cog: :coolphotos:  :driving: I agree with Bill and I must get round to fitting the accuspark kit to mine as I'm still running on points and condenser at the moment and It is running very well at the moment but it has not always been like that!!!
 I hate to admit it but after watching that film I think I prefer the colour of your car to mine!! (Never thought Id say that!!!)

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2017, 20:39:50 »
I'm really trying to keep her as original as poss. That being said I have just been on ebay and picked up a new voltage regua;tor for the instrument panel as my 10v (old bimetal) has given up the ghost - I went for a new fandangled electronic one. Hopefully won't need to change it again that way.

Fingers crossed that will get my temp sensor gauge going.

Mot later this month so if she stays as she is she should pass with flying colours!

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2017, 20:50:22 »
The wee darling just got issued with a new bill of health on friday! another year of hassle free motoring (yeah right!!!)  :driving:

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2017, 21:45:26 »
ah the 4 ohm coil  is a 12V one, you need to run a sneaky wire to fuse 4 under the dash to the coil positive to run a 12v coil.

i use the lucas gold coil , 12v and also made up some braided copper core plug leads too :)

good to hear you found the cause at least and you have the beast backkon the road  :driving: :driving:

Offline Rich Britton

• COG Member
  • Forum Expert
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2017, 15:22:08 »
 :cog:  Both my Volvo and Chevy has water dripping out the exhaust just like your film after I start them up because I only use them one very fortnight on average so I'm not convinced at all that your head gasket has gone!! :D

Offline chevettespecial80

• COG Member
  • Forum Newbie
« Reply #28 on: Aug 05, 2017, 21:15:31 »
Regarding engine mounts,I got cortina mk5 ones for about ten pounds from my local motor factors, they are larger diameter than the chevette ones but the same thickness, you will have to remove the shear cups from the cross member butthis comes off when you undo the rubber mounts, the cortina ones will then screw straight on.hope this helps.
« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2017, 21:22:42 by chevettespecial80 »

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
« Reply #29 on: Aug 15, 2017, 17:40:46 »
yep landrover gearbox mounts fit too and inside the cups , notably harsher though!

Bill

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • John PH: I seem to have stopped being a member. Could have sworn I paid earlier this year.
    Jul 19, 2017, 12:27:51
  • opel monza blue: if you do renew your membership it is only 5 now
    Jul 21, 2017, 15:21:11
  • opel monza blue: unfortunately the paypal link still says 10 ??
    Jul 24, 2017, 09:24:18
  • nova j877: Has anybody got a rear number plate holder and clip?
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:31:26
  • John PH: Glad I didn't go to VBOA now. I would've gone thinking that I was a fully paid up member.
    Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:15
  • opel monza blue: Hi i can log in but can not open membership page is there a problem or is it me ??
    Aug 01, 2017, 09:25:09
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check
    Aug 01, 2017, 20:32:30
  • Bill: membership page seems ok here. just had a new joiner to add and a russky spammer who managed to get past the security questions :)
    Aug 02, 2017, 23:46:31
  • opel monza blue: Hello Bill i have posted in cog/forum
    Aug 03, 2017, 08:13:30
  • rlf444w: i to can get in members area
    Aug 08, 2017, 21:46:18
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41