Author Topic: Jolting when releasing accelarator  (Read 959 times)

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
Jolting when releasing accelarator
« on: Apr 13, 2017, 20:46:36 »
Hi, I just joined today.

I finally got my own chevette after 18 years!

I will try to attach some pics.

I have changed the rotar arm and cap, the plugs and leads and even the ignition coil.

She's had a fresh oil an filter change and a carb clean and diaphragm change.

I've had the grumpiest mechanic in inverness run his eye over it. Still she jolts back and forth when I ease of the gas. No issues when powering up both a difinate wobble when I release the peddle.

The previous owner replaced the mounts an I ordered a new accelerator cable today as the current one is a bit passed it's best and is possibly a bit sticky.

In liue of that correcting the issue, can anyone offer me further advice?

The fuel system is the next place to look I would imagine but I'm obviously looking to explore the cheaper, diy options first.

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
Re: Jolting when releasing accelarator
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2017, 20:50:19 »
Evette the chevette

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2017, 20:51:25 »
Evettes bum

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2017, 20:55:14 »
Evettes rims

Offline Jeff J

• Advanced Forum User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14, 2017, 05:09:46 »
Do you mean the whole car jolts or just the engine & gearbox, if it's the latter then have you checked in the gearbox rear mounting area for loose bolts etc.

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #5 on: Apr 14, 2017, 09:34:19 »
The question is - Is it a misfiring engine or mechanical looseness/tightness in the transmission.  I would check for seized or loose universal joints on the propshaft and maybe a sticking piston in the carburrettor. - You will find the problem just try to eliminate things. - goodluck - scotty

Offline Rich Britton

• COG Member
  • Forum Expert
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2017, 11:04:46 »
 :cog: :coolphotos: What a nice Colour! That is a nice car! O0

Offline mick

• Club Chairman
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #7 on: Apr 14, 2017, 14:07:29 »
Hello and  :Welcome: to  :cog: nice car, good luck with the judder problem.

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2017, 17:50:34 »
Hey, everyone!

Thanks for getting in touch.

The colour is "nightblue" it looks purple in some lights. It was my wifes suggestion.

I went along with it as it makes the chrome pop and supports my efforts to look pimpin' when I roll.

Funnily enough I was saying to her today when we went out in it that I wasn't convinced it was anything to do with the accelerator cable.

I had started to think it could be loose bolts in the transmission.

Thing was confirmed when I heard a loud ping on the A9.

I didnt see anything fall and and A9 aint the place to stop for a look. I will get under her tomorrow or sunday and let you all know.

Shes a wee smasher, sound running 1256  although the rocker cover seems a bit weepy at the bolt holes. I put a new gasket on but hey- its a 60's engine!

I bought a job lot of parts on ebay when I got her and the bundle hand some duplicates. If anyone needs anything then give me a shout.

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2017, 17:52:15 »
Sorry about the typos-im on my phone.

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2017, 21:08:58 »
hi,

if it is kangarooing in first gear then you may want to check the dashpot has some oil in it.

On top of the carburettor, that is the domed gizmo next to the air filter box, there is a plastic screw in plunger in the top.

undo this and pour in a cap full of new engine oil, you cannot overfill as it will just push itself out if too much .

then put the plunger back in and do up, you should find it goes in with resistance and slowly.

This is called the damper and it stops the fuel control piston from flying up when you accelerate, causing a sudden loss of fuel .  with it damped properly it slow the rise and causes the mixture to richen slightly when accelerating.

If the problem is a judder when you bring the clutch up in first then this can be a variety of things. one of mine does this and has done for 20k miles :) , it is almost certainly the knackered rubber mounts for the engine/gearbox and back axle on that one though.

bill

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #11 on: Apr 16, 2017, 19:52:49 »
Hi bill, i just got the carb serviced. Prior to the service i had topped the carb with oil but the service doesnt seem to have helped. I had as good a look as i could with her up on my ramps but nothing seemed loose.

I discovered the ping i heard on the A9 was the fuel tank cover in the boot coming loose and the ping most likely came from the wee metal locating brackets.

With regards to your rubber mounts bill, do you know where they could be found online? I googled them and the nearest thing i could find was off a land rover. It was 40! I didnt want to buy it if it was going to fit.

The other thing i thought it could be is the intake manifold gasket, what are your thoughts?

I also noticed a fair wee bit of water coming out the exhaust which makes me think i have a blown head gasket....  Really hoping im wrong on that.

I took a couple of videos of her running and to be fair the video doesnt really allow the viewer to get an idea of the irregular rythym of the idle but i will try to post them up anyway incase anyone has any ideas on what i can do to get this wee baby ready for summer!!  :driving::driving:

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #12 on: Apr 16, 2017, 19:54:36 »
Engine running

Offline Studpony84

• Forum Newbie
  • 4 door saloon
« Reply #13 on: Apr 16, 2017, 19:55:37 »
Water from exhaust

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #14 on: Apr 16, 2017, 20:20:19 »
hi,

looked at the vids, the engine seems to be running smooth and quiet.  The water in the exhaust maybe a build up of condensation in the exhaust if it hasn't been on any long spirited journeys ?

You can usually tell if it is Head Gasket as it is invariably cylinder 4 that fails in this way, i.e. water jacket to cylinder . I have had 3 go this way .  But then i do do a lot of miles in my chevanne :) 

Head Gaskets die with age more than mileage, they basically rot from the coolant and corrosive carbon.

If you were to change the HG then i would strongly advise painting the new gasket with wellseal. It is a gasket sealant goop and i did the last one i changed with it and all is well ~10k down the road .  There is a more to this so advise if you go down that route.

Usually if you get that sort of HG failure the engine will degrade at idle and get lumpier until it stalls.  This is the cylinder filling up with water bit by bit basically.

Soo...  The engine sounds fine , the exhaust maybe a red herring..  which leaves engine mounts and stuff.

The engine mounts can be found on the german ebay , as the "kadett C" is the same basic chassis as the chevette . you need to find kadett C motorlager.

e.g. > http://www.ebay.de/itm/Motorlager-SATZ-Gummilager-Dampfungsbock-2-Stuck-Opel-Kadett-C-1-0-1-2-OHV-Motor-/132060419938

They are not cheap though , other sellers maybe cheaper but not much usually.

The gearbox mount rubber i don't think exists in any replica form . it would be too hard to  drop the mount on the member and inspect it though to see if it has turned to mush.

There is a second hand one of unknown origin on ebay.co.uk i think tho.

The take up judder on my chevette was only an issue in 1st gear and i have yet to fix that (it is off the road) but i think it is the mounts as when you take up initial drive that is the highest inertia energy on the transmission and buggered mounts mean it will move / judder.

If yours is the same then it maybe the same cause.  Or it may even be a buggered clutch or one that has oil contamination on it.

so many choices :)

I doubt you are local ? Else i could take a listen and see if that helped find it.

Bill

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41
  • Tomo195: Hi all.
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:31:33
  • Tomo195: does anybody know how I can post pics without using photobucket
    Oct 09, 2017, 20:39:11
  • Bill: just use the insert image button if the files are local to you
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:03:40
  • Bill: oops i meant the attachments and other options red bit at the bottom of a new post.
    Oct 12, 2017, 00:04:36
  • Barry Arthur: Needing help we v5 for my chevette
    Nov 14, 2017, 20:47:50
  • parko: what fo you need barry
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:28
  • parko: do
    Nov 15, 2017, 21:38:35
  • Barry Arthur: I don't have a up to date v5.according to DVLA I need a pic of vin plate and vin number stamped in to shell of vehicle.i can't find stamped on number.does anyone know where it is
    Nov 15, 2017, 22:26:54
  • parko: i cpuld be wrong but is it under the carpet between the drivers seat and sill
    Nov 16, 2017, 19:29:21
  • hsrwannabe: On the dashboard where the tax disc  used to go if its a pre 79 car
    Yesterday at 00:03:59