Author Topic: Water leaking from front of bell housing/rear of engine  (Read 1320 times)

There is a small amount of water (I believe coolant) leaking from between the joint at the front end of the bellhousing and rear of the engine on my Chevvy. Initially it seemed only to be oil, then it seemed to be a mixture of oil & water, now it is pure water ? I initially thought possibly a leaking rear crankshaft oil seal, but now think it is a weeping core plug. I am no expert but Haynes state there is a core plug in the block just behind the top of the bellhousing. Possible what has happened is that the hot coolant in the first instance has flushed away oil residue in the area of the leak and the oil has now gone leaving just water, am I likely to be right, any suggestions guys ? The car has only covered 400 miles since re-build and was previously unused for severeal years. The engine/hoses/gaskets are all bone dry, and there is no noticeable drop in coolant level.

Offline carnut

• Advanced Forum User
Re: Water leaking from front of bell housing/rear of engine
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2009, 22:13:22 »
There is a core plug at the back of the engine, As always core plugs rot from within so not replacing them when rebuilding an engine is false economy.  New ones need sealant when fitting , paint the outside with humbrol black,
Check that the liquid IS coolant and not water making an exit from a disturbed joint on the heater rainwater drain.
A mirrior on a stick may enable you to see what is going on

Re: Water leaking from front of bell housing/rear of engine
« Reply #2 on: Jul 01, 2009, 13:40:19 »
Thanx for that, I'm going to have a closer look at the weekend if time allows