Author Topic: Businesses you love or love to hate  (Read 13326 times)

Offline Beno

• Forum Power User
Re: wizbangers
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17, 2012, 21:35:33 »
Hmmm I did think the same when me and Henry went Nice place but work in my eyes was a bit sub standard !!! If you want it putting right give me a shout !!

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline bones

• Forum Expert
« Reply #31 on: Oct 17, 2012, 21:42:45 »
Bad news matey, it's getting tough to find a decent company out there that is worthy of recommendation.
Tell me about it, just got my HS axle back from having the crownwheel and pinion fitted. I had cleaned the axle casing and it was spotless . The axle came back with swarf and all I can say is stuff in the casing, I think the guy built it outside on the floor or in a scrap yard or god knows where.
I sent a letter in the crate ,I told the guy to not silicon the diff cover on (so he siliconed it on) supplied gaskets for the ends of the axle (he didn't fit them) and he put the half shaft plates on sideways with the drain holes at the side.
 Supposed to be 1 week turnaround 2 months later and god knows how many excuses he had for not finishing it, even told me that the people that they get the front seals from had sent the wrong one, so I told him to fit the brand new one I had sent with the axle.(I think the guy must be blind).  Lets just say that Select a gear in Middlesbrough are not going to be getting my Manta axle in for a rebuild that's for sure.   

Offline The ANT

• Forum Superstar
  • The Flying ANT
« Reply #32 on: Oct 17, 2012, 21:49:11 »
Most of the work isn't that bad but things like the altered crossmember has just had 6" cut out the middle and a flat steel plate welded in with some quite flimsy supports and left unpainted, i would of put some tubing in so that would be the strong point not the weak point, important also not so keen it pissing out brake fluid.

Offline Beno

• Forum Power User
« Reply #33 on: Oct 17, 2012, 21:54:31 »
Are you from Ireland ??? I remember Ian showing me a hs axle in a create and Im sure he said it was from Ireland !!! Wish I knew this ..... Although Ian is ok as a person his work is shite !!! His unit is behind ours .... He has more comebacks than enough and his unit is a complete tip so I know were your coming from !!! The only man you need to use is Ste from C&S Gearboxes in Thornaby he is the man !!!

Offline devilwoo

• Forum Power User
« Reply #34 on: Oct 17, 2012, 22:41:59 »
NO WAY. Appreciate the heads-up. Trust no-one.

Offline hsrwannabe

• COG Member
  • Forum God
  • Rusty Chevette....never!
« Reply #35 on: Oct 17, 2012, 23:19:46 »
Bad news Ant are they gonna put it right? Where you can do it yourself, if you cant only use a well recommended person/company

Cheers Dave  :cog:

Offline henry

• COG Member
  • Forum God
  • the chevettes not just a car its a way of lfe
« Reply #36 on: Oct 17, 2012, 23:33:45 »
Are you from Ireland ??? I remember Ian showing me a hs axle in a create and I'm sure he said it was from Ireland !!! Wish I knew this ..... Although Ian is ok as a person his work is shite !!! His unit is behind ours .... He has more comebacks than enough and his unit is a complete tip so I know were your coming from !!! The only man you need to use is Ste from C&S Gearboxes in Thornaby he is the man !!!

:iagree:
i know steve well what a top bloke and his work is 2nd to none , all the maim dealers send there work to him  :Worship: :Worship:

Offline bones

• Forum Expert
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18, 2012, 21:03:27 »
Are you from Ireland ??? I remember Ian showing me a hs axle in a create and Im sure he said it was from Ireland !!! Wish I knew this ..... Although Ian is ok as a person his work is shite !!! His unit is behind ours .... He has more comebacks than enough and his unit is a complete tip so I know were your coming from !!! The only man you need to use is Ste from C&S Gearboxes in Thornaby he is the man !!!
From the Isle of Man, he seams a nice guy on the phone (good phone manner perhaps) I rang him once a week (because after all it was going to be a one week turn around on doing my axle) kept telling me that someone was off sick then on holiday and so on, I'll ring you tomorrow was also a goody, he never rang in two months. I was nearly booking the boat and going to sort things out myself and bollocks to the costs involved. The diff seams to be set up ok it was just the amount off shit inside the casing (everything is nice and clean now).
I didn't ring him and complain as I think it would be pointless plus it would just get me wound up.
 I had Gerry Johnstone rebuild it last time but he has retired now which is a big shame.   
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2012, 21:04:38 by bones »

Offline The ANT

• Forum Superstar
  • The Flying ANT
Re: Businesses you love or love to hate
« Reply #38 on: Oct 19, 2012, 00:42:23 »
I've had a look under it and if you pull.the wheel side to side the rack moves to, its not a nuisance its dangerous and there's so much bump steer its scary but I'll get is blasting about somehow. The rear isn't too bad

Offline Mad Max A.K.A. Mal

• Committee Member
  • Just Call Me Blydenstein
« Reply #39 on: Oct 19, 2012, 23:43:12 »
sorry to hear that Ant, hope you get it sorted  :cog:
It's better to burn out than to fade away . . .

Offline johnny

• Forum Newbie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 11, 2013, 14:25:48 »
A few years back I gave this bloke (don't know if I should mention names), a sill to weld to my chevette.  He kept the sill (bought new and unused).  He then cataloyd the sill which subsquently caught fire burning the carpet.  Total cowboy. >:(

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #41 on: Dec 11, 2013, 15:12:34 »
that is not good, you lost a sill and a carpet :(

a prev owner of one of my cars stuck a new sill.. over the top of the old one.. sigh... on both sides :(

bill

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #42 on: Dec 11, 2013, 18:34:52 »
The only answer is to either do it yourself or stand over the "tradesman" while he does it. This doesn't just apply to cars but to building and plumbing work too.   If you are not happy don't pay!  Sorry - getting very cynical in my old age and dismayed by the lack of basic technical knowledge in many allegedly skilled people. - Rant over - Scotty

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2013, 23:10:13 »
too true Scotty..

the Rant is far from over :) , i put Custards tracking back right this week after the garage that supplied the tyres allegedly tracked it.

it pulled to the left , now it doesn't.. i put the tracking back where it was , which was easy enough to do as when they adjusted it they didn't untwist the boot so all i needed to do is re-adjust until the boot was straight again.  voila, no longer wants to go into the ditch and the steering is notably lighter ..

I did buy some of those simple mirror/laser tracking thingies but couldn't use it as it had been damaged in transit :( , won't be difficult to fix but didn't have the kit there to fix it with (broken switch).

seems the key is to do everything yourself so you know it will be done right, or if not then you know who to blame at least :)

bill

Offline tinbasher

• Forum Newbie
  • im pete and i live in woolston
« Reply #44 on: Dec 27, 2013, 09:54:43 »
reading about the grief some people have had with so called trademan out there, i am only pleased that i served my apprenticeship as a coppersmith, and as such i am classed as a CRAFTSMAN lmao, i wont let any one put a spanner or welding torch any where near my daughters car, having seen the work done in previous years by so called vehicle welders

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • John PH: I seem to have stopped being a member. Could have sworn I paid earlier this year.
    Jul 19, 2017, 12:27:51
  • opel monza blue: if you do renew your membership it is only 5 now
    Jul 21, 2017, 15:21:11
  • opel monza blue: unfortunately the paypal link still says 10 ??
    Jul 24, 2017, 09:24:18
  • nova j877: Has anybody got a rear number plate holder and clip?
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:31:26
  • John PH: Glad I didn't go to VBOA now. I would've gone thinking that I was a fully paid up member.
    Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:15
  • opel monza blue: Hi i can log in but can not open membership page is there a problem or is it me ??
    Aug 01, 2017, 09:25:09
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check
    Aug 01, 2017, 20:32:30
  • Bill: membership page seems ok here. just had a new joiner to add and a russky spammer who managed to get past the security questions :)
    Aug 02, 2017, 23:46:31
  • opel monza blue: Hello Bill i have posted in cog/forum
    Aug 03, 2017, 08:13:30
  • rlf444w: i to can get in members area
    Aug 08, 2017, 21:46:18
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37
  • John PH: What's happened to my menership
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:37
  • John PH: I'm not a member again. What's happened?
    Aug 21, 2017, 12:26:53
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check johns membership status?
    Aug 21, 2017, 18:09:31
  • Bill: will check
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:36:25
  • Bill: IT says John PH member here
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:42:55
  • Bill: not sure what happened?
    Aug 22, 2017, 18:44:25
  • John PH: Yeah I paid for another membership again
    Aug 23, 2017, 12:26:54
  • Trudgechr: How do i add to the register
    Sep 02, 2017, 16:20:58
  • Bill: you can put it in here > [link]  , then a mod will move it to the right category eventually :)
    Sep 17, 2017, 10:34:41