Author Topic: I'm going to be a problem  (Read 204 times)

Offline Early Doors

• Forum Newbie
  • Second Chevette novice
I'm going to be a problem
« on: May 10, 2017, 19:28:24 »
Hi there,
I've never posted on a forum and don't really know the conventions... I've been the proud owner of two Chevettes (currently just one) and only a little mechanical knowledge so I can envisage not getting it right for a while.

I do have a long standing love of the Chevette and would like to make my current one an absolute beauty in the fullness of time.  I would really appreciate some help and advice about all matters Chevette and find out some long acquired knowledge from fellow enthusiasts.  I currently pick the brains of a more mature engineer at my place of work about distributors, manifolds, carburetors and the like, and have two very accommodating mechanics that deal with my wife's modern car (both very sympathetic to working on a classic Chevette).  I would still love to be more independent and work on my own car a bit more.  I have a 1983 Saloon which I absolutely love.  It is fully running but has the odd issue now and again which I would like to be more knowledgeable about.  I would also appreciate any advice about spare parts and sensible modifications. I am not a boy racer and dont want to pimp my ride but I would like to make some sensible adjustments to the car to make it a better ride. 

All and any suggestions welcome
Regards,
Chris     

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline Rich Britton

• COG Member
  • Forum Expert
Re: I'm going to be a problem
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 14:41:09 »
 :Welcome:  Welcome aboard!

You could start with electronic ignition and an electric fan both may give a power increase and you could take the interior out and line the floor and under the rear seat with sound deading insulation to make the car a bit quieter!

I still haven't got round to doing any of these things yet!!! But I will one day!! have a good read of the blogs and I'm sure you will be inspired!!  :blues:

Offline parko

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2017, 22:21:18 »
first thing to do is buy a haynes manual then ask on here if you ever get stuck

Offline Mad Max A.K.A. Mal

• Committee Member
  • Just Call Me Blydenstein
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2017, 16:21:17 »
Welcome aboard, fellow Chevette aficionados are never a problem, and are usually more than happy to help out fellow members. First things first where abouts in the country are you as potentially there could be other Chevette fiends on your doorstep, which is always useful. Generally given the age of the cars there are some things that become looser over time, and especially when compared to modern cars. Suspension can be improved easily by upgrading to gas shocks, as Parko said a Haynes Manual is a godsend as they are very simply put together, and as Richard said things like electronic ignition make them more reliable as you then do away with things like the points. It really depends how far in terms of improvement you want to go, power steering from a modern car ( Corsa/Meriva) can be added but it's not a straightforward swap, lighting can be improved, seat cushions can be replaced etc etc. Tim at TJ Motorsport ( @TJM ) is very knowledgeable and very useful as a supplier of springs , shock absorbers , bushes etc. And other bits and pieces such as exhausts can be sourced through members on here.
It's better to burn out than to fade away . . .

Offline Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum God
  • Likes all chevs grubby and sometimes yellow
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 15:41:41 »
hi and welcome too :)

Your forum profile says Leicester and not sure off the top of my head who is close to you.

The haynes manual is a good bet, if you fancy going the full monty then occasionally you may find workshop manuals come up on ebay . these are the real deal and where the haynes people pinched bits from basically.

As mentioned the single most useful mod that is not complex or expensive is to replace the points with an accuspark module.  this is a drop in replacement and means no more annoying point gap / damp-dirty points/ burnt points / condensor problems.

I do a lot of miles in mine and these things are faultless.

There are two different types , the later distributor (orange cap) needs the K24 kit from accuspark which the age of your car implies this is the one you have.  you will need to check/reset the timing once fitted.

The chevette engine and transmissions is very simple stuff compared to the modern malarky and ideal to learn about maintenance on too.

Basic tools that are useful are an imperial socket/spanner set (the engine is imperial, the bodywork is metric) and some metric .  A timing strobe , accuspark and others sell these and the modest cost would be easily justified by not having to get a garage to check/set your timing i suspect.

If you can still find one, a chevette K&N air filter element is a good long term investment. Apparently K&N have stopped making them so ebay is your best bet.  these are re-usable and will give a notable improvement in top end go over the paper ones.

Oil filters are getting harder to find , a useful but not essential option there is to go to

https://flexolite.co.uk/item.asp?iID=103&cID=4&page=OIL+FILTER+ADAPTOR+KITS+-+by+Flexolite+Vauxhall

Website and order a chevette spin on oil filter conversion kit.  this allows you to use the many off the shelf screw on filters from halfords etc..

It is straight forward to fit, just remember to put the O rings in the right places.

Finally use a quality oil , these old engines aren't the best for breathing etc.. so old or cheap oils will tend to clog em up. some use halfords classic, others may use fancy oils including synthetic but there are some caveats to consider there.

There are plenty more things i am sure but this is a useful start :) , sign up for the club, it is 5 a year and the benefits are many, including the parts of the forum with many years of build blogs and maintenance stuff.

cheers

Bill

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 15:41:52 by Bill »

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • vauxhallkeith: Does anyone know if the chevette hatch rollcage fits saloon? Cheers
    Mar 19, 2017, 11:06:10
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: It would , the major difficult would be getting it in . .
    Mar 26, 2017, 04:51:48
  • vauxhallkeith: Yeah thats true. A was looking at a safety devices cage that unbolted above ur head. A wasnt sure if it fitted in and bolted to rear wheel arch or not. Cheers
    Mar 26, 2017, 19:12:52
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: Floorpans and arch position is the same so it will fit
    Mar 30, 2017, 04:17:26
  • vauxhallkeith: Cheers mate. If another 1 pops up then al by it. Missed 1 on ebay. It went for 180.
    Mar 30, 2017, 17:08:55
  • John PH: FINALLY started modifying my headlamp panel to take the inset lamps! SO much metal to chop.
    Apr 03, 2017, 12:18:03
  • Metallica: Hi people does any one now where i can get hold of a fuel tank for a 83 chevette hatchback1256cc. 07411055533
    Apr 24, 2017, 22:17:05
  • Bill: there was one on ebay recently at a sensible price, there is one now but it is being sold at a rip off price by a breaker.
    Apr 24, 2017, 22:20:03
  • vauxhallkeith: Any got a set off 15 inch revolution 5spokes. 4x100 cheers
    May 07, 2017, 23:03:51
  • John PH: I seem to have stopped being a member. Could have sworn I paid earlier this year.
    Jul 19, 2017, 12:27:51
  • opel monza blue: if you do renew your membership it is only 5 now
    Jul 21, 2017, 15:21:11
  • opel monza blue: unfortunately the paypal link still says 10 ??
    Jul 24, 2017, 09:24:18
  • nova j877: Has anybody got a rear number plate holder and clip?
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:31:26
  • John PH: Glad I didn't go to VBOA now. I would've gone thinking that I was a fully paid up member.
    Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:15
  • opel monza blue: Hi i can log in but can not open membership page is there a problem or is it me ??
    Aug 01, 2017, 09:25:09
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check
    Aug 01, 2017, 20:32:30
  • Bill: membership page seems ok here. just had a new joiner to add and a russky spammer who managed to get past the security questions :)
    Aug 02, 2017, 23:46:31
  • opel monza blue: Hello Bill i have posted in cog/forum
    Aug 03, 2017, 08:13:30
  • rlf444w: i to can get in members area
    Aug 08, 2017, 21:46:18
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37