Author Topic: Mechanic to carry out top end rebuild - Glasgow Area  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
Re: Mechanic to carry out top end rebuild - Glasgow Area
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2017, 14:21:07 »
Thanks VanneVette,

No not mine, its my mates car that has sat untouched for 20 years.

Yes that middle bolt on the manifold is a right pain! I bolted back on the standard manifold and carb, plumbed it all up. Car started, idled fine, same issue, as soon as it starts to warm up - Smokey Joe!

I checked the manifold when all this started, spraying WD40 and listening for leaks - Nothing.

Thinking it is the head gasket. I drained the fresh coolant I put in recently, looks dark and oily. Started removing pump/fan assembly, try and get back to it on Sunday. Mate says I should be doing a leak down test first but I'm just going to crack on and get the head off and inspect it. Makes sense to inspect the seats when its off I guess so might need the spring compressor Scotty.

Pic below, took a video too but can't upload it to stupid photobucket.

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

Offline VanneVette

• Forum Power User
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2017, 20:03:37 »
With a leak test it will tell you if the pistons rings are ok? If there no air coming from the dip stick rings should be fine. If no air from the oil cap then its the head gasket and the valves are fine me thinks???

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:20:10 »
Yeah carried out one on my previous bike but it was definitely drinking oil! Valve stem seals were worn. Fingers crossed Chev is just the head gasket.

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #18 on: Feb 27, 2017, 21:46:59 »
Head off, managed to shear 2 studs for the manifold, thought the whole stud was loosening  :wallbang: Pics below, head bolts were all tight, gasket looks fine, fluid sitting on top off the pistons, bit red like the classic oil I put in it. Certainly doesn't smell off fuel, what now? Rings worn! Advice please.

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Totally Fearless Forum Fighter
  • Vice Chairman
« Reply #19 on: Feb 27, 2017, 22:14:12 »
Looking at where that fluid level is, did you not drain the coolant from the block before removing the head?

There is a 7/16 headed plug just behind the alternator on the block for that purpose.

Head gasket sealing rings don't look too clever between cylinder 1&2 and 3&4.

Pistons and bores of 1&2 look very clean.  Given how black the black the head is suggests it's been running very rich.  So well worth the removal in order to clean all that.

Now the head is off I think I would go down the route of unleaded seats, valve guides (if and where required) new stem oil seals and a skim.

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2017, 22:38:09 »
Ah yeah, Ashley, forgot about that drain plug for the block but tried to remove it before to flush the system but could not get it to move! Extremely tight and starting to round the bolt head so gave up.

Okay guess its worth doing it properly setting it up for unleaded. A bit beyond my skill level, I'll see...

Whats the best method for de-coking the bores and everything?

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:48:02 »
More pics

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:04:22 »
Interesting pictures!  The bores look OK so  provided the non -wear lip at he top isn't too big no need to rebore. The gasket is well knackered. I can see that it has been leaking between 3 and 4 and probably to the water gallery there too.  So that's the likely cause of your problems.  Your choice is whether to just fix the gasket or do a full head recondition whilst its off. Depends on money really.  If it was me I might just decoke the head and piston tops change the valve seals to get running again quickly and cheaply and in slower time get another engine and rebuild that fully. Again that depends on what sort of work space you have available.
 When decoking the pistonheads don't try too hard to get the edges shiny or remove the coke from the bore top lip as the crud there helps the compression. Just put each piston to the top and clean off the surface black.

As the engines compression was so good you shouldn't need to grind the valves either just get the black off then and change the inlet seals.

Change the oil before restarting as it is now contains water .

- Scotty

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2017, 11:42:35 »
Thanks for the advice again guys! Think I'll just get it fixed up as you suggest Scotty - Clean up the head, change the valve seals and follow Bills method for refitting. Is the spring compressor in the post Scotty?

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2017, 16:21:07 »
Yes it is.

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #25 on: Mar 09, 2017, 14:34:35 »
Update: Head is in at a local place in Paisley being pressure tested - Glasgow Grinders (And no I didn't come across them whilst googling that.  :))

If all good, skim then may as well go the full hog and get the seats replaced for unleaded, not that bad price wise at 80 quoted.

In their quote they recommend replacing the guides too. Is this necessary? or best to inspect them, need to check the manual later, maybe a tolerance for wear to work from?

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #26 on: Mar 09, 2017, 15:25:49 »
If you replace them you should fit new valves really. And new springs probably. Then you have a reconditioned head more or less.  - Its all about cost as the car won't run much different whatever you do.   - Scotty

Offline Ashley

• Vice Chairman
  • Totally Fearless Forum Fighter
  • Vice Chairman
« Reply #27 on: Mar 09, 2017, 17:10:23 »
If your going to get the valve seats unleaded, then you may as well have any worn guides replaced too.  No need to replace any valves, any good engine shop will just recut and lap in your existing ones.

Offline Allanchvet

• COG Member
  • Advanced Forum User
« Reply #28 on: Mar 23, 2017, 16:02:40 »
Hi guys,

I ended up using another company to do the work and decided against going down the unleaded route. Head was pressure tested, skimmed, oil stem seals replaced, seats re-cut and all the manifold studs replaced. Looking shiny!

Try and get it back together this weekend.

Offline scotty

• COG Member
  • Forum Superstar
« Reply #29 on: Mar 23, 2017, 20:04:49 »
That's a clean looking head! Hope the reassembly goes well. I am a bit intrigued by the use of studs for the exhaust manifold . Bolts were normally used by Vauxhall.  - Scotty

Join the Chevette Owners Group. It's only 20 for twelve months. Benefit from discounts, parts, advice, shows, newsletters and much more!

COG shoutbox

Refresh History
  • vauxhallkeith: Does anyone know if the chevette hatch rollcage fits saloon? Cheers
    Mar 19, 2017, 11:06:10
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: It would , the major difficult would be getting it in . .
    Mar 26, 2017, 04:51:48
  • vauxhallkeith: Yeah thats true. A was looking at a safety devices cage that unbolted above ur head. A wasnt sure if it fitted in and bolted to rear wheel arch or not. Cheers
    Mar 26, 2017, 19:12:52
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: Floorpans and arch position is the same so it will fit
    Mar 30, 2017, 04:17:26
  • vauxhallkeith: Cheers mate. If another 1 pops up then al by it. Missed 1 on ebay. It went for 180.
    Mar 30, 2017, 17:08:55
  • John PH: FINALLY started modifying my headlamp panel to take the inset lamps! SO much metal to chop.
    Apr 03, 2017, 12:18:03
  • Metallica: Hi people does any one now where i can get hold of a fuel tank for a 83 chevette hatchback1256cc. 07411055533
    Apr 24, 2017, 22:17:05
  • Bill: there was one on ebay recently at a sensible price, there is one now but it is being sold at a rip off price by a breaker.
    Apr 24, 2017, 22:20:03
  • vauxhallkeith: Any got a set off 15 inch revolution 5spokes. 4x100 cheers
    May 07, 2017, 23:03:51
  • John PH: I seem to have stopped being a member. Could have sworn I paid earlier this year.
    Jul 19, 2017, 12:27:51
  • opel monza blue: if you do renew your membership it is only 5 now
    Jul 21, 2017, 15:21:11
  • opel monza blue: unfortunately the paypal link still says 10 ??
    Jul 24, 2017, 09:24:18
  • nova j877: Has anybody got a rear number plate holder and clip?
    Jul 24, 2017, 11:31:26
  • John PH: Glad I didn't go to VBOA now. I would've gone thinking that I was a fully paid up member.
    Jul 24, 2017, 12:29:15
  • opel monza blue: Hi i can log in but can not open membership page is there a problem or is it me ??
    Aug 01, 2017, 09:25:09
  • Mad Max A.K.A. Mal: @bill can you check
    Aug 01, 2017, 20:32:30
  • Bill: membership page seems ok here. just had a new joiner to add and a russky spammer who managed to get past the security questions :)
    Aug 02, 2017, 23:46:31
  • opel monza blue: Hello Bill i have posted in cog/forum
    Aug 03, 2017, 08:13:30
  • rlf444w: i to can get in members area
    Aug 08, 2017, 21:46:18
  • Bill: fixed gopefully
    Aug 11, 2017, 11:09:37